Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Beginner Stories! Lisa Remembers...



The crisp, refreshing air of a winter day.  White snow sparkles in the afternoon sun.   It’s a bluebird day at Brimacombe.   I strap on my bindings, tighten my helmet and stomp my board a little.  The hill stretches before me.  I can see every bump reflecting in the winter sunlight.  Every curve taunts me.  I exhale, my icy breath hangs in the air.  I position my board down the hill and begin my descent down my nemesis – Bambi.

I’d been trying to learn to snowboard off and on for years.  Anyone over 30 will agree – you don’t bounce like you used to.  I had decided after a two year hiatus that 2012 was the year I would finally figure it out.  I was tired of the “falling leaf” – a step in the learning curve that I was stuck at.  Fairly new to the area, I asked around and everyone agreed that Brimacombe was a great place to learn at.

February came before I summoned the courage to hit the hill and give it a try.  I made my way out to the magic carpet lift with toddlers, children and other adult beginners like myself.  I was daunted and slightly embarrassed.  The lift staff were helpful and kind.  They didn’t even so much as giggle when I asked how to use the lift.  I worked for hours and after several spills and a sore bottom I could ride on both edges of the board.  I didn’t pick it up that first afternoon, but I did have a great time slope side in the fantastic weather.

Over the next few weeks I kept returning and trying to pick it up.  After several runs I was able to turn from my front edge onto my back edge.  But I was still having difficulties linking my back edge to my front.  One fateful afternoon amid a crowd of school kids I heard an instructor shout “Look up the hill when you turn”.  It worked!  And that was it – my snowboard epiphany.  From that moment on I can finally say that I am a snowboarder.  I am grateful to the staff at Brimacombe every time I “shred the pow!"

Lisa