Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Beginner Stories! Nicole from Bowmanville.




This year is my second year skiing! I am 18, and had a pretty fun but hilarious first day on the slopes! On my first day skiing, I showed up to Brimacombe with my friend to try and learn. I was scared - but excited! My skis where from the '70s to '80s and my boots were just as old - I was definitely bringing back retro fashion!

The first thing I did to get started was suiting up in warm winter wear and heading up the beginner Bambi slopes on the Magic Carpet Conveyor lift. My first time down Bambi took about one hour because I couldn't get up! The first hour was a long one, but shortly after that I was going up and down the same slope like there was no tomorrow!

After gaining confidence, we made our way to the main chairlift. We decided to (try) to head over to Pete's Elbow - a beginner run. I fell multiple times on the way to this run, and down it too, when an older male skier saw me take a spill. He took off his skis and picked me up off the snow. After asking if I was okay, the man showed me an easier way to stand back up and continued to help me down the hill. He really helped me understand what to do and I was very grateful. I spent the rest of the day going up and down the hills and having fun even though I was still tumbling my way down the slopes. That man showed me that you should never give up and if it wasn't for this kind stranger at Brimacombe I may have given up and wouldn't be skiing today! 

My first time on the slopes at the Brim was the most amazing thing ever and I truly had fun as well! Since then, I have bought new skis, poles and more and plan on spending this whole season on the hills as much as I possibly can! My first time skiing, I found something I could be passionate about, and I found it at the Brim! I will continue to come to Brimacombe every year to hit the slopes in hopes of one day finding the man that helped me on my first day, and thank him!

Nicole



__________________________________________

Want to Discover the Slopes?

For only $48, you can learn to ski or snowboard with a Beginner Discover Package that includes a four-hour equipment rental and beginner lift ticket, plus a one-hour beginner lesson – everything you need to get you started on the slopes! Learn more [here].